Monday, March 1, 2010

Jeremy Balius, Poetry Reading 28th February 2010





I don’t hurry
By Jeremy Balius

Way out past the ship masts
that look like fakirs’ beds

of needles in the harbour,

ship lights blink like Christmas lights
on the gutter of the sea.

Whoever hung those lights did a shitty job.

I would not be proud of my house
if my Christmas lights looked like that.

If we tried to swim out there, I’d say
There they go who know; they might not
have a dollar to their names,
but they sure got a lot of sense.

And everybody’d chuckle.

Let’s swim out into the night with
one stroke for the lonely-hearted,
one stroke for the left-behinds.

I’ll keep watch
to see if we make headway,
occasionally shout directions,
but my goodness, will they listen,
those fools?

Sweep me up wind and carry me within earshot.

I don’t hurry for heaven.
So what? I don’t hurry.

*first published on a Red Leaves / 紅葉 bookmark;








Black Rider Press

2 comments:

  1. Absolute highlight of the night; ~hearing Jeremy sing "Annamarie"

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wasn't in that greta space but this is my favourite for sure

    ReplyDelete